Thursday, 22 November 2012

Garbage City - Cairo - Nov 2012

I visited Cairo's Garbage City or Manshiyat Naser, a slum on the outskirts of Cairo with 30,000 residents who are 90% Christian Coptic. The economy completely revolves around collecting, sorting and recycling Cairo's waste. 
There was a real buzz about the place; everyone was busy working amongst the filth and I felt highly welcome - the people were very kind.
What I found most astonishing about the place was the attitudes of the people. Living in such conditions would make many westerners depressed or lazy, however all these people were very happy with the little they had and I was impressed with the hard work and spirit of the community.
Here are some images but I hope to go back and give the story at least a week's work as I think the community and the story deserves it.

































No comments:

Post a Comment